What do you do when you reach a communication impasse with your kids or mate, colleagues or clients, a family member, or someone you have trouble relating to?
Join Dian for this 5-day program as part of Omega Institute’s annual Family Week, which is an ideal time to learn NVC if you have children (this event is open to those 16 and older; many other programs are available for children under 16). (see Omega’s event page)
Learn to transform your relationships—from the dinner table to the bedroom to the boardroom, and to the thorny conversations we all are having (or avoiding) in our communities, workplaces, and country. Explore research-based insights into the psychology of communication and learn how to overcome the most common barriers to effective communication—where everyone leaves with a sense of fulfillment and their self-respect intact.
These new way of thinking and communicating can be applied immediately to real-life experiences. Gain skills to create greater authenticity, intimacy, harmony, and meaning in your relationships.
This program is highly interactive and includes exercises, role-play, and empathy learning games.
- DATES: Monday, July 29 – Friday, August 2, 2019 (Monday 9:00 am – 12 noon and 2:30 pm – 5:00 pm; Tue., Wed., Thur., and Fri. 9:00 am – 12 noon)
- LOCATION: Omega Institute, 150 Lake Dr., Rhinebeck, NY 12136 (directions)
- TUITION: $355 for Omega members; $395 for non-members.
- INSTRUCTOR: Dian Killian, Ph.D.
- REGISTRATION: To register, email Omega or call 833.727.9501 (no online registration available). Register early — Omega’s Family Week sells out quickly, both the program and housing!
- HOUSING: A variety of on-site options are available but can sell out quickly. Is your housing option no longer available on-site at Omega, or do you prefer to stay offsite? Check out some options via Airbnb (save $55 if it’s your first stay in an Airbnb!)
- QUESTIONS: For questions regarding registration, logistics, scholarships, travel, or housing, email the host (Omega Institute) or call 833.727.9501.
In this workshop, Killian will provide research-based insight into the psychology of communication, and will help you to:
- identify the most common barriers to effective communication.
- transform negative self-talk into self-empowerment.
- foster trust and collaboration when stakes are high.
- defuse anger and enemy images.
The program is highly interactive and will include exercises, role-play, and learning-games (including Empathy Poker, the NVC Dance Floors, and the Empathy Labyrinth). Join us to learn skills and a new way of thinking that can be applied immediately to real-life experiences so that you can experience less conflict and stress, and find greater authenticity, intimacy, harmony, and meaning in your relationships.
About the Facilitator:
Dian Killian, Ph.D., has been a Certified Trainer with the Center for Nonviolent Communication since 2005 and has offered training around the world. She is a co-author of two well-loved NVC books, Connecting across Differences: How to Connect with Anyone, Anywhere, Any Time (in English and German) and Urban Empathy: True Life Adventures of Compassion on the Streets of New York.
Based in Brooklyn, Dian teaches regularly at Kripalu, the 92nd St Y, the New York Open Center, and the Omega Institute and has worked with diverse organizations including Americorps, the United Nations Development Program, the Peace Alliance/Department of Peace campaign, New York University, and Cornell University. She is known for sharing NVC in a clear, down-to-earth, and engaging way with humor and stories.
David Platoff (Rochester, NY), known and loved by many in the Omega Institute community, will be assisting this workshop. In addition, Marc Weiner will be joining us for a day with his Empathy Labyrinth!