Status of Ireland IIT

Purpose: On this page, we will keep you updated on the status of the 9-day Nonviolent Communication (NVC) retreat in Ireland with the latest information we have available. If you are interested in joining us and have yet to register, we strongly encourage you to join the waiting list so you will be the first to hear when we make a decision this summer. 

Update: 10 April 2020

We are hopeful and cautiously optimistic about our ability to host the event as planned on the scheduled dates of 23 October – 1 November 2020.

Obviously, we have no way of knowing for sure what will happen due to the uncertain nature of the health crisis worldwide. This is new territory for everyone and we are trying to figure things out just like everyone else.

That being said, we have a commitment from both our sponsor (the Center for Nonviolent Communication) and our venue (the Emmaus Centre in Swords, Ireland) that the event will happen this Autumn if, by 15 August 2020, the following conditions are present:

  1. International travel restrictions have been lifted.
  2. Ireland’s Department of Health says it’s OK to host gatherings of this size.
  3. We have enough registrants to go forward.

On the point of having enough registrants, we’re pretty confident that we will find enough people who want to participate. For one thing, we imagine that coming out of this period of shutdowns and quarantines, people will be very eager to spend time in community as soon as it’s safe to do so.

In addition, we recently learned that another IIT scheduled for Germany in August has been postponed until 2021, so we imagine that some of the people who would have attended that event might now be interested in the one in Ireland.

Finally, there are groups from three EU countries (including Poland and Romania) who have applied for EU grants to send 8-10 people each to the Ireland IIT, so if their grants are approved that brings even more people.

All of this is to say that we encourage you to keep the dates on your calendar and hold open the possibility that the event will be happening!

Our timeline is to make a decision by August 14, 2020, about whether we believe the conditions are suitable to move forward, and then let you know shortly after that… allowing more than two months before the event will happen.

Please let us know if you have any questions or want to share any other thoughts; we are both in acceptance of not having control over the situation, and cautiously optimistic that we will be able to gather together as planned.

Wishing you the most peace and ease possible in these times,

Sincerely,

Dian Killian, Ph.D. (organizing trainer) & Jeff Brown (event coordinator)

P.S. Please let other people you know who might be interested that they can add themselves to the waiting list for this event and we will let you and them know first if registration opens back up… giving them the first opportunity to sign up.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s