Opening Space for Clarity, Abundance, Community, and Connection
What is needed during these times?
During these uncertain times, when so much is emerging, unnerving, and changing, how do we stay grounded and energized? How do we stay connected to our vision — of what most sustains us and bring us alive?
Marshall Rosenberg, the creator of Nonviolent Communication, talked about gratitude and celebrating needs met as “life fuel.” Surely, during these times, we could all use some of this sustaining energy!
An Anchor in Rough Seas
Years ago, I developed a practice based on principles of Nonviolent Communication called Gratitude Circles. Until now, I have only shared Gratitude Circles at in-person events and retreats. Recently, reflecting on these unprecedented times and how I could best contribute to well being and the world, I got a clear sense that it is time to bring Gratitude Circles alive online.
My hope is that meeting twice a month in this “gratitude space” (a restorative “spa” of needs met) will support a deep, nourishing well — grounding us in an awareness of our beautiful needs, how we can best/fully meet them, and, in doing so, most contribute to the world.
“Don’t ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”
—Howard Thurman, The Living Wisdom of Howard Thurman: A Visionary for Our Time
- Dates: 1st Tuesday & 3rd Friday of each month: February 19, 2021 – May 21, 2021
- Times: 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm ET (New York); 9:00 am – 10:00 am PT (Los Angeles) See below for a link to your time zone for each date.
- Location: Your computer, tablet, or smartphone from your home or office using Zoom.
- Upon registering, you will receive an email from Eventbrite with Zoom details; save this information for the call.
- If you do not see an email from Eventbrite, please check your spam folder.
- On the day of the Gratitude Circle, arrive five minutes before the start time so we are all ready to begin together.
- Prepare for the Gratitude Circles by reading more about them here.
- Join the call via video (seeing each other is connecting).
- Note that Gratitude Circles are “live” only and a kind of empathy group so (to protect everyone’s privacy) they will not be recorded.
- Note that to give us ease in administration (making the sliding scale do-able for all who want to attend) Gratitude Circles are non-refundable and non-transferable — so please check that you have received the Zoom link and join us live for the session you registered for!
- Instructor: Dian Killian, Ph.D.
- Questions: Email Dian
- Financial Investment: $10-$50 per session (sliding scale). Consider paying at the middle level if you are employed full-time, self-employed, or unemployed by choice. Consider paying at a higher level if you enjoy recreational travel, own your own home, or have a relatively high degree of earning power due to race, class, education level, or gender.
- Pacific Blue Option: $30.00. An average contribution of USD $30 makes these gratitude circles sustainable for Dian and supports her in continuing to offer this work.
- Yellow Option: $10.00. We invite you to contribute at this level if you are unemployed, a recent or undocumented immigrant, a full-time student, or facing medical bills.
- Morning Sun Option: $20.00. We invite you to contribute at this level if you are unemployed, furloughed, or financially supporting others (children or elders).
- Teal Option: $40.00. Contributing at this level and above supports us including everyone in the community to participate, regardless of their financial means. Thank you for your support!
- Green Option: $50.00. Supporting at this level helps Dian and her team to include others who otherwise would financially find it difficult to participate and supports the further development of programs of this kind.
Sessions and Registration:
Register for individual sessions below (click the link next to any date to find your start time):
A Community — Creating Together
My hope is that you will come regularly (once or twice a month) to Gratitude Circle gatherings so you can see the cumulative effect of noticing what most brings you alive. Research has repeatedly shown that practicing gratitude consistently is life-changing. I also look forward through these practices to creating together a rich and sustaining web of community, connection, empathy and mutual support
Format and Requests
Each Gratitude Circle will start with a remembering (words or a song) to gather our intentions and purpose together. After a brief welcome and orientation, we will practice Gratitude Circles together. We will close by celebrating needs met. Some weeks we will have a specific theme to inspire everyone; yet all authentic gratitude, regardless of what you are grateful for, is welcome in this space. During our sessions, you will also get to learn about different gratitude practices you can bring daily into your life.
Upon registration, you will receive a Zoom link for the meeting and an overview of Gratitude Circles and how they work. Please read over the description before you join the meeting. Please arrive five minutes before the start time so we are all ready to start together. If at all possible, please join us via video (seeing each other is connecting). Please note that Gratitude Circles are “live” only (they will not be recorded) and (to give us ease in administration) are non-refundable — so please be sure to join us for each live session that you register for.
“the [Gratitude Circle] … nurtured my sense of inspiration, gratitude, and trust, as well as a bit of awe and wonder…Magic.”J.M.
I look forward to meeting you in this space of abundance, aliveness, insight, and connection. If you are interested in learning more about the positivity of NVC, which connects with gratitude practices, I encourage you to check out the series of blog posts I wrote on the positivity of Nonviolent Communication:
Wild Geese (by Mary Oliver)
You do not have to walk on your knees.
For a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
Love what it loves.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
The world offers itself to your imagination,
Calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting —
Over and over announcing your place
In the family of things.
Thank you for your interest in Gratitude Circles! I look forward to connecting with you at our next Circle!
About the Facilitator:
Dian Killian, Ph.D., has been a Certified Trainer with the Center for Nonviolent Communication since 2005 and has offered training around the world. She is a co-author of two well-loved NVC books, Connecting across Differences: How to Connect with Anyone, Anywhere, Any Time (in English and German) and Urban Empathy: True Life Adventures of Compassion on the Streets of New York.
Based in Brooklyn, Dian teaches regularly at the Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health, the 92nd Street Y, the New York Open Center, and the Omega Institute and has worked with diverse organizations including Johnson & Johnson, Merck, Haver Analytics, Americorps, the United Nations Development Program, the Peace Alliance/Department of Peace campaign, New York University, and Cornell University. She is known for sharing NVC in a clear, down-to-earth, and engaging way with humor and stories.