“You can’t change other people but you can learn strategies to not let others drive you crazy.“– Dian Killian, workplace communication expert
About this Event
Workplace conflict is difficult. It can be daunting and crazy-making to engage in it without the right norms in place, and especially when we’re all physically separated and working from home. But conflict can be healthy for an organization, helping teams and companies avoid complacency, continue to improve, and deal with complexity. In this interactive and highly practical workshop, learn four basic steps to better manage your own reactions, and better respond to others in challenging situations at work and at home. Discover how to quickly get to the core of what matters for you and others and create better outcomes for everyone involved.
Let’s face the truth: you can’t change other people. However, you can change how you react and how their behavior affects you.
Past participants have called Killian’s program “profound” and “…very useful for my relationships in the workplace.” It offers “tremendous insight … and tools for separating out the many different things going on when two people try to communicate.”
This Out Professionals online class is designed to help you discover practical strategies for de-escalating conflict and keeping your head even as others are losing theirs. You can discover how to:
- Identify on a core level what’s bothering you, so you can be more proactive in meeting your needs.
- Better self-manage your reactions, so you can be more skillful in your response.
- Discover what is driving the situation for the other party, so you can more easily find win-win solutions.
- Gain insight into how demands (including “should” / “ought” / “have-to”) play into unhelpful reactions, such as anger and push-back.
- Harness the distinction of cause versus stimulus, to master any situation and proceed proactively to the next steps.
Work and the time spent at work is a significant part of most people’s lives. Join us to learn how to better manage yourself in crazy situations, increase your effectiveness, and enjoy your time at work more.
- DATE: Monday, April 19, 2021
- TIME: 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM EDT
- HOST: Out Professionals
- LOCATION: Your computer, tablet, or smartphone from the convenience of your home or office.
- COST: $65-125 (based on OP membership)
- INSTRUCTOR: Dian Killian, Ph.D.
- QUESTIONS: Contact the organizers at email@example.com
Out Professionals is the nation’s leading nonprofit networking organization for LGBTQ professionals. Founded in 1983, Out Pro is based New York City, with newly added chapters in Los Angeles and Houston. Career. Community. Culture. We Connect You.
About the Trainer:
Dian Killian, Ph.D. (Brooklyn, NY) has been a Certified Trainer with the Center for Nonviolent Communication since 2005 and has offered training around the world. She is a co-author of two well-loved books, Connecting across Differences: How to Connect with Anyone, Anywhere, Any Time (in English, German, and Chinese) and Urban Empathy: True Life Adventures of Compassion on the Streets of New York.
Based in Brooklyn, Dian teaches regularly at the Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health, the 92nd Street Y, the New York Open Center, and the Omega Institute and has worked with diverse organizations including Johnson & Johnson, Merck, Haver Analytics, Americorps, the United Nations Development Programme, the Peace Alliance/Department of Peace campaign, New York University, and Cornell University. She is known for sharing NVC in a clear, down-to-earth, and engaging way with humor and stories.
This course will take place on Zoom, a free video conference platform designed for the layperson and available to anyone with a computer, tablet, or smartphone.